The decision to open a retail store is explored.
Research is initiated.
- Viability of the product
- Location availability
- Rent vs. return
- Retail/business experience of the owners
- Risk vs. reward
A decision is reached to open a store.
Vendors are researched.
Locations are scouted.
- Onsite visits take place over several days and time periods.
- Discussions are held with existing merchants at the site.
Retail designers are researched.
General contractors are researched.
A budget is determined for design and construction.
The Decision Is Reached
A location is selected.
The lease negotiated and signed.
- Use an experienced lawyer and broker.
Retail design begins.
- Preliminary layout drafted and approved.
- Renderings drafted and approved.
- Drawings handed off to architect for permit sets if required.
- Detail drawings drafted and approved.
- Price for fixtures obtained and reviewed.
- Design value engineered as required to fit budget.
Equipment and Signs
Front signs designed and ordered.
Graphics designed and ordered for wall display and way finding.
Construction commences when the permit is obtained.
Repairs due to demo are performed.
New walls are rough framed.
- Window display walls
- Office walls
- Back room partition wall
- Dressing rooms
- Any other required walls
Preliminary ceiling is laid in.
New electric and other cable is laid in.
- Service Panel Installation/Upgrade
- Convenience Receptacle Installation
- Lighting System Plan
Lighting (Bay, Fluor., Track) ordered.
- Lighting (Bay, Fluor., Track) installed.
- Emergency/Exit Lighting installed.
New plumbing is installed.
- Additional sinks
- Waterfall plumbing, if any
Heating, Ventilating and Air Conditioning
- H.V.A.C. Units installed.
- H.V.A.C. Distribution installed.
- H.V.A.C. Thermostats/Protective Boxes
- H.V.A.C. Maintenance Contract
- Sprinkler Evaluation/Permits
- Sprinkler Modifications Completed
Rough framing, electric, sprinkler, HVAC, and plumbing are inspected and approved by the city.
Walls are sheet rocked and inspected.
Final electric, sprinkler, HVAC and plumbing are inspected and approved by the city.
Ceiling panels are installed.
Wood trim and doors are installed.
Walls and windows are painted.
At this point the flooring may go down or it may wait until after the wall fixtures have been installed.
- VCT or wood or tile ordered.
- VCT or wood or tile installed.
- Carpet ordered.
- Carpet installed.
Wall fixtures installed.
- Other wall display systems
- Wall cabinets
- Electrician may be required to hook up cases and computer connections.
- Deliver and installed.
Music and video delivered and installed.
Security system installed.
Storage areas installed.
- Shelving/Wall storage
- Storage Tubs/Bins
- Loading Dock Area
- Pallet Jack
- Hand Truck/Cart
- Exterior Signs delivered and installed.
- Interior Way finding/Depts. installed.
General Retail Needs
- Commercial Vacuum
- Fire Extinguishers/Cases
- Pallet Jack /Hand Carts
- Office /Computer Supplies
- Cleaning Supplies
- Display Supplies
- Open Local Office Supply Account
Retail Supplies (Order early)
- Price Guns and Price Tags
- Steamers (clothing)
- Time Clock/Cards
Point of Sale (P.O.S.)
- Determine system and order.
- P.O.S. installed.
- Software Install
- Order CC Terminal
- Install CC Terminal
- P.O.S. Training
- Petty Cash
- Permits/Business License/Cert. of Occupancy
- Insurance/Workers Comp.
- Utilities Accounts
- Merchandise Plan
- Orders to Vendors
- Inventory Received
- Store Merchandised/Layout
- Ongoing Purchase Orders
- Receiving and Storage
- Store Manager hired.
- Assistant Manager hired.
- Classified Ad for hourly
- Uniforms/Name Tags
- Other Training
- Receiving and Storage
- Special Orders
- Employee Handbook
- Accounting Procedures
- Sales Reports
- Advertising Calendar
- Grand Opening
- Direct Mail
- Frequent Shopper Program
- Brand Development/Collateral
- Marketing Plan/Strategy
- Community Marketing (Rinks, etc.)
- Mailing Lists
- Local Fundraisers
- Newspaper Ads
- Local Radio/TV
- Site planned.
- Site built.
- Marketing planned.
- Key words selected.
- Site policies defined.
- Site manager selected and trained.
- Site employees selected and trained.
- Site mock sales
- Site live/Key words live